New Project Update 12th May 2003
Update 8th June.
The chassis has been blasted, etched and powder coated gloss black. I am now doing a final fit of all the aluminium panels and drilling all the required rivet holes in the chassis. These panels will then go for powder coating and then final assembly can begin. Pictures of the above will be on the website in the middle of June.
Sorry for the lack of updates recently. A lot of the work has not required photographs.
The chassis is now welded. This took 2 weeks! I had to finish all the welds which I had only tacked. Tig welding is neat but time consuming.
My engine wiring loom is now crimped but not quite to the standard I would have liked but it is OK. I actually borrowed a set of crimps but was not happy with them. I then found an electrician that would do the job and he used the same crimps that I borrowed! These are only £18 from RS Components so I will buy one.
The making of the fibreglass panels has caused a lot of problems. There was not a lot of progress with the fibre glass firm so I decided to get my panels back and then at least I could either do them my self or get them done else where. The firm had actually made a mould for the front panel and boot but had not popped the original out. So I picked them up and tried to pop them out. The front grill was first, but it would not come out. The release agent had not worked and the paint and filler was stuck in the mould. I destroyed the original panel getting it out and had a mould full of paint. It took my hours to clean it all out.
After the problems of the front grill I actually decide to save the boot and bonnet and cut the fibre glass mould off. Robin was not happy (neither was I ) that he had to re touch the panels.
Apparently panels for moulding should not be sprayed in cellulose, it reacts with the gel coat, nice of the fibre glass firm to tell us. We are now spraying the panels in 2 pack primer and top coat.
Robin has nearly finished redoing the damaged panels, then he has 4 wings to finish off. The chassis will hopefully be blasted and powder coated in the next few weeks. I have fortunately had lots of jobs to do while I was waiting for the panels.
|There are 23 pictures on this page, posted 12th May 2003|
Even though the parts are plated I still put wax into the corners.
These are steel wings being modified so fibreglass ones can be made.