New Project Update 31st August 2003

Home

New project (title page)

Update 3rd November 2002
Update 1st December 2002
Update 25th September 2002
Update 1st January 2003
Update 9th January 2003
Update 19th February 2003
Update 20th March 2003
Update 12th May 2003
Update 20th June 2003
Update 10th July 2003
Update 11th August 2003

Update 11th August 2003

Only a few pictures this time as I used the film up in the camera on other items.

The engine has been in the car to finalise all the pipe and wiring runs. These have been fixed and the engine is ready to go back in for good. Unfortunately my engine mounts which I had powder coated at different place to the chassis have started to rust. So the company that did my chassis are sorting them. Hopefully I will get them back next week.

I made anti roll bars from the car from Minor torsion bars. I have lots of these and they are spring steel so will not yield. I had lots of work to do to make them fit though. But I now have adjustable bars front and rear. The amount of anti roll bar I will require is an educated guess.

The petrol tank is fitted and all the associated wiring and plumbing is complete.

Robin has started my body work and I should get the front scuttle section in a couple of weeks.

I am currently making attachments to align the suspension. These will be bolt on bars so I can construct an accurate rectangle around the car (referenced to the centre line) with string. Then it is easy to measure toe.

I own lots of books and many of these I have owned for over ten years. When I bought each book I read it, but I find it very useful to re read my books every so often. As my knowledge increases I seem to get more out of the books each time and learn something new. All of Carroll Smiths books are still my favourite.

There are 12 pictures on this page, posted 11th August 2003

Rear hard line brake pipe.

Most race cars use all flexy braided hose for the brake lines.
I like to use as much hard line (copper nickel pipe) as possible
because it gives a firmer pedal. The hard lines to not expand
whereas the flexy braided ones do very slightly. This is the rear
brake line.

 

The rear brake pipe before fitting.

The brake pipe is wrapped in spiral plastic to protect it.

 

Morris Minor torsion bar used as an anti roll bar.

This is the front anti roll bar. On the right hand side is the original Morris Minor
spline. The bar is mounted in split alloy blocks with dry lube plastic bearings.
The internal diameter of the plastic bearings is large so I can run different sized
bars. Spacer tubes are fitted to the Minor torsion bar to space it up.
A bolt on alloy clamp stops the bar sliding.

 

Cut down end of the torsion bar.

I had to shorten the torsion bar. On the cut down end I have
made a sleeve that slides on to take the arm. This will be held on with
high strength retainer.

 

Front anti roll bar drop link.

The front anti roll bar is mounted low on the chassis rails
and is operated via a drop link from the rocker. A
clamp on slide bracket attaches the drop link to the tubular arm.
By sliding the drop link along the arm the roll resistance is altered.
On the rocker is 3 different attachment holes. These will give a large change
in roll resistance such as a wet weather setting.
The anti roll bars took days to make due to the clamps, drop links, spacers etc.

 

Attachment onto the torsion bar splines.

This is the modified Minor arm that slots onto the torsion bar end.
I bolted on the tubular arm as I was worried about welding it to the cast arm.

 

How to cut a circular disc.

These are the discs I welded onto the ends of the cast Minor splined arms
so I could bolt the arm onto the torsion bar. (I drilled and tapped a hole in the end
of the torsion bar, a very difficult job). First I draw a circle, then cut the corners
off and finally file to shape. There are 3 discs because my original plan was
to use a standard width anti roll bar.

 

The raer anti roll bar.

This is the rear anti roll bar at the upright. The suspension is on full bump
which is why some of the angles of the links look funny.

 

Rear Anto Roll Bar looking inwards.

This is the rear anti roll bar looking towards the inside of the car.

 

Trimming The inner Wing To Clear the ARB.

The inner wings required a bit of trimming to clear the anti roll bar.

 

Rear Suspension With The Springs In Place.

This shows the rear suspension with the springs fitted. It was good to see the
suspension bouncing for the first time. These are cheap springs designed to a free
length and a rate. Once I know approximately what rates I require I will buy springs
that are designed to my installed height. This means I can change springs
without having to reset ride height. and corner weights.

 

The Front Suspension With Springs Fitted.

The front springs in place.

THE FOLLOWING WERE ADDED 11TH SEPTEMBER

 

The rear bodywork blasted.

The rear bodywork was sand blasted, for a very reasonable
price. Robin and I then sanded it, and used Scotch Brite (trade name).

 

The Blasted Rear

You can see the original lead loading at the top of the wheel arch.

 

The Etched Primed Rear.

Robin sprayed the bare metal with 2K etch primer. This chemically binds with the metal.

 

Home